Solution: Electrical Engineers

Beginning April 25, 2006,  UL508A  will require all Industrial Control Panels to have short circuit current ratings

Have the Electrical Engineers do the Study

The simplest and least expensive solution is to have the electrical engineer interface with the power serving utility and do the electrical study. Once the study has been completed the actual let through current that needs to be designed around can be included as part of the specification for the panel builder to follow. A few dollars spent up front will save the end user a substantial amount of money later.

The electrical engineer should always do a coordination study for a control system and include the compliance information in the specifications. The study should extend from the transformer through the control panel. This is especially true for systems that utilize an MCC style control system. This should never be the responsibility of the control panel builder!